Monday, December 26, 2011

Every little thing...

 Tonight as bedtime approached I looked around the house and saw toy after toy after book after stuffed animal strewn all around and felt extremely overwhelmed. It had been a long couple of days and I was tired and cranky and the last thing I wanted to do was convince my boys they needed to help me pick up. But at the thought of having to do it all by myself I asked all three boys to start picking up and putting away their things before we needed to go upstairs to get ready for bed. After a bit of prompting they got up and started toward their pile of misplaced loot.

 Right away it was very obvious that they didn't want to do what was asked of them, at all. In fact looking at them you would think these children were walking slowly toward certain doom. I braced myself for the complaining and waited to see what ailment would suddenly overtake them and keep them from cleaning up. (I think last night Jake had a cramp inside his right pinkie that was so bad he thought he would surely die- funny thing is 30 seconds before he was asked to pick up he was playing the Wii.) I felt myself tense up as I waited for them to begin their debate about why they shouldn't have to do it right then. Thinking "I'm to tired to come up with clever rebuttals" I leaned my head against the wall to wait for them to start.

 Then I heard my sweet, sweet seven year old boy humming. I recognized the song but hadn't put the words with it yet. Then my sweet, sweet five year old boy joined in singing "do everything thing you do to the glory of the One who made you" then they both started singing very loudly "cause he made you to do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face and tell the story of grace with every move that you make and every little thing you do" by this time I was humbled. Almost brought to my knees by their little hearts and positive attitudes. Silently I listened and prayed that God would renew my heart and attitude and help me to be like them. Before long all four of us were laying on the floor singing at the top of our lungs in a clean room! We must have sung the song 10- 15 times together- even Eli was singing as loud as he could.

 So, as we walk forward into the new year, 2012, I pray that we will all find it in our hearts to live to glorify our Father in Heaven with every move we make- no matter how big or small! I pray our steps are steps of faith and love and grace. God bless your 2012!

Never heard this song? Check out Stephen Curtis Chapman's song "Do Everything"

No comments:

Post a Comment